Do you wish you could find an accounting job you’d love this year? If so, you need a plan to help you get what you want. Having a plan to find a great accounting job will make your wish into a measurable, reachable goal. The first step is to learn to look for a job the right way.
Do You Know How to Look for an Accounting Job?
If you have been looking for an accounting job for a while and have experienced no luck, you may not know how to effectively look for a job. You may be searching for a job primarily by job title. This is where you’ve been going wrong. You need to search for a job by company, not job title.
“Finding the right job is about finding the right situation. It’s about finding a supportive boss and good coworkers at a reliable company in a stable industry.” — Recruiter.com
Network to Find the Right Accounting Firm
To find an accounting job you’ll love, aim to locate the right accounting firm, one that fits you like a glove. Networking is a good way to do this.
Recruiter.com stated, “…finding a job through networking gives you a higher chance of success. You may already know your future boss – you just haven’t figured it out yet.”
If you don’t have a large professional network, or hardly any network at all, start building your network today. Here’s how:
- Become more active on LinkedIn.
- Connect with those whom you attended college/graduated with.
- Ask people questions about the companies they work for/run. Try to get a sense of what different CPA firms are like through conversation.
- Attend events related to your industry.
- When you meet a new contact, say his or her name throughout the conversation. This builds rapport, shows good manners, and makes a lasting impression on others.
Know What You are Looking for in an Accounting Firm
If you are unsure of exactly what you are looking for in an accounting job, it’s unlikely you’ll find your ideal work situation. Remember, you aren’t just looking for the right position — you are looking for the right company. A fitting accounting firm will…
- Have values that align with yours
- Offer the benefits you want and need most
- Train you consistently
If you focus on locating the right accounting firm for you, it will be easier to find a job you’ll love. It’s as simple as that.
What was the best job you ever had? How did you find it?